Sam Mendes confirms he will direct the 24th Bond film

Never fear, James Bond will be back, and it has been confirmed that the director of Skyfall, Sam Mendes, will be delighted to reprise his role in Bond 24. Not a whole lot of other details have yet been revealed, but at least one nugget can be cherished in advance: Brits will get to see it before the Yanks do. The film is scheduled for release in the UK on 23 October 2015, 6 November in the US.

Mendes said in a statement that the producers of Bond 24 gave him enough time to fulfill his other commitments, so he will happily continue the 007 saga, along with Daniel Craig, producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson and screenwriter John Logan. The film isn’t titled yet, so for now it’s just the 24th Bond film, and whether it will surpass Skyfall at the box office is anybody’s guess, but a lot of bets are down.

Last year’s Bond 23 broke the British box office record, bringing in £93.4 million over 40 days as compared to the last record of £90 million set in 2009 by 3D Avatar over eleven months (though the figures don’t take inflation into account.) A lot of the credit for Skyfall’s success went to star Daniel Craig and director Sam Mendes, so expectations are high.

In a July 11 press release the Sony honchos Michael Lynton and Amy Pascal said they count it a privilege to work with the Bond films; they added that the director and screenwriter “. . . have come up with an extraordinary follow-up to Skyfall . . . .” So far no other details have been released, and the film will have some heavy-duty competition.

According to latest reports, 2015 will be massive in terms of big films. In the race with Bond, so far we have Episode VII of Star Wars, Avatar 2, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, a Terminator reboot, Jurassic Park number 4 (tame dinosaurs?) and to top it off Finding Dory, an unexpected but welcome return from the creators of Finding Nemo. That’s not all that’s on the menu, and James Bond will have his work cut out for him, undercover or not.